Thursday, July 18, 2013

Thankful Thursday #2

How's that for an original title?  :)

The past two days have been less than stellar.  It's so hot here and I've been so unmotivated!  My eating has been spot on until about 8:00 at night...and then it's not pretty!  I've been down on myself...which requires a few changes to take place in the coming weeks.

The first change is that I'm not going to be weighing myself.  I packed away my scale in another room and don't plan to step back on it until August 1.  I've found so much frustration in the scale not going down.  For the most part (before the past 2 days) I have done well with my eating and exercise.  The calorie deficit was there...but the scale didn't budge.  I got annoyed and told myself that it didn't really matter if I ate a little of this or a little of that because the scale wasn't going to move anyway.  Not the attitude to have...but totally there.  I've become so obsessive about the numbers that I decided it was time for them to go for a while.  I honestly believe that if I spend the next few weeks acting out of integrity, I'm going to see the numbers I desire.  I hope so at least!

Another change is my exercise.  I have not been following my routine at all...mainly because it's so stinkin' hot out there!  Today I woke up at 5:30 without an alarm and decided that I was going to get up and move.  I did the first day of a couch to 5k program.  I have never been able to run any distance at all without feeling like I'm going to die.  Even in middle school and high school I couldn't run the 1-2 minute warm-ups in gym class.  I want to be a runner.

Here is an outline of the plan:

WeekWorkout 1Workout 2Workout 3
1Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
2Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
3Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
  • Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
  • Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
  • Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)
4Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
5Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
  • Walk 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog two miles (or 20 minutes) with no walking.
6Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2-1/4 miles (or 22 minutes) with no walking.
7Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).
8Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).
9Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).The final workout! Congratulations! Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).

I did it...I completed workout 1!  I used my handy gym boss that I bought almost two years ago!  The first time (and only other time) I tried to use it I thought I was going to die and wasn't able to complete my workout.  Apparently when it says couch to 5K I didn't realize that my gym shorts were practically sewn into the cushions and it was going to take a lot more than a cute little interval timer to get me moving!  This time...very little struggle!  I'm hoping that having something very structured will help me stay on task.  I do well with structure...most days.  I'm not sure that I will be running for 30 minutes in 9 weeks...but one can only hope!

Another change that took place was shutting of the Fit Coach on my BodyMedia.  I am tired of being told what to do or that what I'm doing is not good enough.  I have enough struggle within myself...don't need a computer telling me my faults too!  It's not just the negative comments that bother me...the positive ones do too!  Let me do my thing and if I want your advice...I'll ask!  (A little testy today!)

After all of that rambling, here are some things that I'm thankful for today!
  • I'm thankful for waking up at 5:30 this morning.  I know that I wouldn't have exercised today without that early start...it's too hot!  
  • I'm thankful for air conditioning! 
  • I'm thankful for phone calls with my parents.  Our relationship has changed immensely in the last few years...thankful for that too!  ;)
  • I'm thankful for delicious recipes and food creativity that make this journey a little bit easier.
  • I'm thankful for summer vacation...those days are certainly numbered!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome job getting up and exercising so early!! I have struggled to do the same thing and I am not there yet, but we just have to keep plugging away at our goals and ban the negative self-talk that sabotages our efforts. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried to get up that early the next day...but wasn't so successful! :) Oh well...I still got my time in before the day was up! "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..." right?

      Delete